Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cold Cold Go Away!

(I took this picture on my way out to do chores one morning)


I am so tired of the cold. I want green things growing, and baby animals and all of the soft sounds of spring. We have eagerly went through the seed catalogs as they arrived, making plans for new garden plots and marking things we want to grow; some of it tried and true and some of it something new.


As if in mockery of our spring time plans and our yearning for warm sunshine and soft south breezes, mother nature decided to coat us in a layer of ice and then layer us in snow. The temps will be in the single digits tonight and morning feed will be very, very cold. I suppose one could say that if we didn't have the critters then we could lay about in our warm beds. And yet the only thing that will keep morning chores from being miserable is the fact that will be in the company of our critters. I would rather be out in the cold taking care of them than laying about in a warm bed. Those that would rather have the warm bed just don't know what they are missing. I would wager a good amount that I am much happier out breaking ice out of buckets than my neighbor is out scraping his windshield.


Warm or cold, a morning just isn't a morning without goat kisses and happy hens.

Oat Bucket Farm Website

3 comments:

  1. Although I live in the city now, I was raised on a farm and love reading about farm life. I agree that the unconditional love of an animal is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It truly is priceless. If you would have told me six years ago that I would be happy to roll out of bed and go out into the cold to feed and care for goats, I would have thought you were crazy. Its amazing how life (and goats) can change a person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree.....they have change my life and make me a better person :)

    ReplyDelete