Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Pickles, Tomatoes, and Jelly, Oh My!

Yesterday we canned dill pickles, and oh my goat they smelled so good! They are also incredibly pretty with all of their colors, seasonings, and sprigs of dill. We also got the first few jars of tomatoes ran through the canner. Our tomatoes are producing, but the plants don't look as good as they could (see the post before this one). I hope they give us enough. We also made peach jelly and put up several jars of that. 


Quart jar of pretty dill pickles


Quarts of tomatoes and pints of peach jelly waiting to be carried to the pantry


Green beans and mulberry jelly are slated to be done today. We have spent the last several mornings, doing a garden version of 'downward facing dog' and lunge positions and such while we practically stand on our heads picking grocery bag after grocery bag of green beans. We are being over run by green beans, but we ran short last year, so the abundance this year is welcome. Even if it is a million degrees by nine in the morning.


This life is a lot of hard work, but it's so worth it. I love watching the pantry fill with rows of things we have grown and processed in our little kitchen. I love opening an egg carton to the brown,cream,white, speckled, blue, and green eggs that our chickens lay. And I love seeing the half gallon jars of healthy, fresh milk in the fridge.


Oat Bucket Farm Website

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about you homesteading in the city. I wish more towns and cities would allow people to have small animals and chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish more towns allowed it too. You would be surprised at the amount of little wide spot in the road towns there are out here in Kansas that don't allow any livestock, not even chickens.

    On the flip side, there are a couple of cities in Idaho (I am fairly certain that is where they are) that I recently read about that have changed the laws so that having chickens and such is easier. In one town, you had to have at least an acre before you could have any livestock. The town changed the law to half an acre and reclassified chickens,goats,miniature horses and potbelly pigs as pets instead of livestock. I think more towns should do that.

    ReplyDelete